As a wedding gift my Aunt Paulette gave Jay and I a cookbook called "Joy of Cooking". It is definitely old. I am not sure if it used to be hers or if she got it at a used book store. Either way, it is awesome. For one thing it doesn't have a list of ingredients 10 pages long, half of which I have never heard of. Well unless you count salt pork. That is bacon right? Or close enough these days I figure. Sometimes it calls for lard - I use butter. It has instructions like "stir for one scant minute". Ummmm "scant"? Does that mean barely one minute? The instructions are usually broken into three segments dealing with the liquid ingredients, the dry ingredients and the meat. I typically have to read the recipe at least three times to make sure I am getting it right. But after that it is easy! I successfully made gravy for the first time the other night and the best biscuits. I have had a few mishaps such as the stew I attempted last weekend. It was smelling delicious and it had white wine and bacon in it. Then it burned to the bottom of the pan. Shoot! As I was working to get the burnt gunk off the bottom my arm was getting tired. I asked Jay to take a turn and guess what he used?! Sand paper! It worked like a champ and since the pan is stainless steel it didn't hurt it one bit. I am remembering that for next time. Anyway if you want a great old cookbook check this one out.
1931?! Told you it was old. (I don't think my book is that old, but the recipes are.)
These are delicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment