On Friday nights in Barbados everyone heads to Oistins for the Fish Fry. We didn't want to stray from tradition so we hopped the number 11 and headed over. There were stalls upon stalls selling fish dinners of all kinds. We finally stopped at one where the girl was very friendly. I ordered the Red Snapper and Jay got the Marlin. Both types of fish were delicious and they came with the standard sides: fried plantains (yum); macaroni pie (mac n' cheese baked like a casserole); rice and peas (although I could have sworn those peas were beans); and bread fruit. We went back on Monday for dinner and although not all the booths were open there were still a few choices available. I had the King Fish this time and Jay had Marlin again. They gave us so much food for $15 American, we had to get a to-go box. I swear it was the plate of never ending fish. Each time I thought I was finished I would move something on my plate and find another one. Yum, yum, yum. And we washed it all down with the local Banks beer and Fanta. Jay said we could drink a lot of Banks because the bottles were thicker than in the U.S. and the bottles were only 9.7 oz. Fanta in foreign countries is also much better than Fanta in the U.S. I don't know why, but I won't drink it here at home.
 |
| Don't worry, not dolphin like Flipper. It was another type of fish. |
 |
| The fish market by day. Lots of stalls processing the day's catch. |
 |
| Domino games everywhere. |
 |
| Forgot to take a picture of the number 11 we caught at these bus stops. It wasn't so much a bus as a converted van with three rows of seats that you could ride for 75 cents American. They were awesome. |
If we weren't eating in Oistins we would walk to Surfer's Bay for dinner at a little restaurant or on our last night there we found a great little family run place right next to the hotel. We were the only ones there and we had thought it was closed all the nights we were there before, but I think they would have loved to see us. Oh well, next time. I ordered the chicken dinner forgetting it would be fried. I can't remember the last time I had fried chicken. And let me tell you, it was GOOD!
There wasn't as much fresh fruit as I had hoped so we ate a lot of oatmeal, tuna fish sandwiches and cup of noodles soup. It was actually pretty funny. Next time we will probably bring some food with us.
No comments:
Post a Comment