Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Elusive Salmon

24.5 pounds, 37 inches = Jay's first Chinook Salmon!!! Today was opening day of salmon season 2009. Jay thought about going first thing this morning, but we opted to go after work instead. We launched down near the bottom of Orondo Street about 5:00. It was an absolutely beautiful afternoon and a great day to be out on the river. There were lots of other fishermen out, but not so many that it was impossible to get around. Jay manned the downriggers while I drove the boat.


I did excellent if I do say so myself, even without my trusty First Mate hat on. The sun finally went behind the ridge around 8:15 or so, and by 8:30 I told Jay I was good for another half hour. Well, that seems to be the trick because last fall when we were fishing for Steelhead I told Jay I was tired, we were just getting ready to go in and FISH ON! Same thing tonight. All of a sudden Jay jumped up grabbed his pole and wheeeeeeeee there went the line! It was a strong fish, he ran through his spool twice. Another boat stopped to watch him bring it in. I was ready with the net and scooped her up. She was heavy! Jay had to help me. Good thing he was there to grab it because as soon as I put her in the net the line broke. If I had dropped it, it would have been bye bye fishie. Jay might have thrown me in after it. Just kidding. :-)

Here is Jay bringing her in.


She's a beauty! And still so bright.


It is like Pike Place Market in our kitchen.

I'm so proud of my hubby. He has fished and fished and fished. Today was his day. He definitely put his time in.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you had your camera with you!! That is no fish "story" he really did catch a big one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I am a blogger I take my camera everywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know right! I never had pics before I blogged!

    ReplyDelete