- Tortolacci for dinner.
- A Christmas Eve hike with Jay and Chloe.
- Gluhwein
- Relaxing...sort of. It is also usually accompanied by a feeling of being overwhelmed
- Wanting to give to those less fortunate.
- Wanting to volunteer when and where I can.
- Having a hard time saying no. (Okay, I always have a hard time saying no, not just at Christmas).
- Not knowing how to celebrate because I am torn between two families, my desire to help others and the pressure (self imposed) to make sure that everything is perfect and everyone is happy.
How do I make it special for Jay and I? How do I balance giving to the community and to my family? I feel pressured to buy buy buy. And yet I hate spending money on something they wouldn't use or want. But if I don't get them a gift I feel lousy.
I think this year I might be on the right track. I am joining a friend to ring a bell for the Salvation Army (which I think I might turn into a tradition for Jay and I). Jay and I donated to the Wenatchee Valley Humane Society and the Women's Resource Center in our families names and are giving that as a gifts instead. I am trying to remember it is not about the STUFF. At least not for me.
I don't think my journey will end this Christmas. I am pretty sure it is something I will struggle with every year, but I hope to make progress. I do love Christmas. I love the lights, smells, and sounds.
"It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes, or bags. Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas...means a little bit more." ~ The Grinch curtesy of Dr. Suess

No comments:
Post a Comment